World Food Day 2021 is widely known everywhere in the world on sixteenth October. It is an initiative by the Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations. After 2020, that is the second time that World Food Day is falling at a time when international locations everywhere in the world are reeling from the impression of the Covid-19 pandemic. The international occasion marks a day calling for worldwide consciousness and collective motion to fight the difficulty of starvation, and guarantee wholesome diets for all. Here’s all you could learn about this big day.
Our meals selections have an effect on ????
???? meals manufacturing
???? our diet
???? the surroundings
???????????????? our lives
World Food Day 2021: Theme | Celebrating Food Heroes
In 2020, the theme for World Food Day was, “Grow, nourish, sustain. Together. Our actions are our future.” This was determined preserving in thoughts the struggling of thousands and thousands through the pandemic. This 12 months, the emphasis is on celebrating meals heroes or people who’ve contributed to constructing a sustainable world the place nobody has to go hungry. The concept is that all of us may be meals heroes and contribute to the thought of constructing a hunger-free world. FAO has additionally highlighted the work of meals heroes the world over who’re working in direction of the identical facet.
World Food Day 2021: History and Significance | Why Is World Food Day Celebrated?
World Food Day was initially meant to mark the day that the FAO was established within the 12 months 1979. However, it steadily turned a option to increase consciousness about starvation, malnutrition, sustainability and meals manufacturing. The UN Secretary-General is convening the very first Food Systems Summit in September 2021. The FAO web site highlights some surprising statistics about meals and starvation, in addition to the agri-food system.
- Almost 40% of the world’s inhabitants can’t afford a nutritious diet.
- 2 million persons are overweight or obese as a result of poor food plan and sedentary existence.
- The world’s meals techniques are answerable for greater than 33% of world greenhouse fuel emissions.
- 14% of the world’s meals is misplaced as a result of insufficient harvesting, dealing with, storage, and transit, and 17% is wasted at a client degree.
- The world’s agri-food techniques make use of over 1 billion folks which is greater than some other sector.
We can all be #FoodHeroes & cut back our meals waste to assist:
☕️battle meals insecurity
????shield treasured sources
????cut back our carbon footprint
????get monetary savings & power
????eat extra consciously
World Food Day 2021: What Can We Do To Reduce Food Waste?
According to the FAO, we are able to all be meals heroes and do our bit to assist. Whether we’re part of the federal government, or non-public sector, civil society, or academia – you will need to be taught from nature by ‘performing with nature’. Here are a number of methods you possibly can start to take motion:
- Choose a nutritious diet and keep away from ultra-processed meals, to affect what the market gives us and keep a wholesome physique and surroundings.
- Select merchandise that are wholesome for you and sustainable for the surroundings too. Read the labels and packaging rigorously earlier than deciding on the merchandise.
- Improve meals storage and cut back wastage at residence. As FAO suggests, “Buy what you use and use it all!”
- Recycle as a lot as attainable and reuse outdated water at residence. Try composting and put vitamins again into the soil. You may begin your personal inexperienced patch of fruits, greens, or herbs.
- Support small farmers and native producers to nurture native ecosystems.
Happy World Food Day 2021!
About Aditi AhujaAditi loves speaking to and assembly like-minded foodies (particularly the type who like veg momos). Plus factors for those who get her unhealthy jokes and sitcom references, or for those who suggest a brand new place to eat at.