Chandigarh/New Delhi: Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Saturday agreed to a Congress plan to advertise rival Navjot Singh Sidhu because the social gathering’s state president and arrest the simmering revolt however listed sure phrases for the answer, sources mentioned.
Here Are The Top 10 Points On This Big Story:
- Captain Singh’s assent got here after a gathering with Congress’s Punjab in-charge Harish Rawat who flew in a helicopter from Delhi to satisfy the Chief Minister in Chandigarh. Sources mentioned Captain Singh agreed to simply accept any determination taken by social gathering chief Sonia Gandhi.
- However, Captain Singh additionally mentioned that he must be concerned by the social gathering management whereas taking necessary choices and that Mr Sidhu’s appointment ought to complement his efforts in serving to the social gathering come again to energy within the subsequent 12 months’s elections, sources mentioned.
- The 79-year-old additionally demanded that he be given a free hand in reshuffling his cupboard and within the appointment of working presidents underneath Mr Sidhu.
- But in indicators that not each distinction had been swept underneath the rug, Amarinder Singh can also be learnt to have advised Mr Rawat that he won’t meet Mr Sidhu until he publicly expresses remorse or apologises for his tweets towards him.
- According to sources, the compromise system includes Mr Sidhu’s elevation as Punjab Congress President and the appointment of three working presidents who can be picked by Captain Singh. The Chief Minister’s cupboard can be expanded too and Hindus and Dalits and can be given precedence.
- The breakthrough got here as Navjot Singh Sidhu held a sequence of conferences with senior social gathering leaders within the state together with the Punjab Congress Chief and tweeted that he was “seeking guidance”, dropping an enormous trace even because the announcement of his takeover was held up.
- “Seeking steerage of Presidents of the illustrious Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee … Conversations with wise men, worth months of Education !!” Mr Sidhu tweeted with together with photos.
- The conferences got here a day after sources mentioned Captain Singh had written to Sonia Gandhi objecting to Mr Sidhu changing Sunil Jakhar because the social gathering’s state chief – an answer reportedly arrived at by the social gathering following a sequence of separate conferences between the Gandhis, Mr Sidhu, and Mr Singh.
- Separately, Navjot Sidhu met with Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi on Friday in Delhi after the feud noticed a dramatic escalation a day earlier than when each Amarinder Singh and Mr Sidhu rounded up MLAs and ministers on their facet and had been deep into separate conferences.
- The rift between Amarinder Singh and Navjot Sidhu, festering because the Congress gained the Punjab election in 2017, has endangered the social gathering’s re-election bid subsequent 12 months. Mr Sidhu, who give up the BJP and joined the Congress simply earlier than the 2017 election, has been preventing for a much bigger slice of energy however to this point, Mr Singh has been immune to the concept.